Saturday, March 5, 2011

Unpacking my thoughts on the Gospel

I want to unpack a little of my thinking on how the realities of what the Trinity accomplished as the Father sent the Son; the Son came as a baby born of a virgin; and the Holy Spirit came to comfort and teach us the truths of our situation.

So, say my wife and I are working on a project together, or planning something, and suddenly she says something that seems to be arguing in a hurtful way.

I can snap back, fulfilling my sudden urge to "get her back" for consciously or unconsciously hurting me...and it can go downhill from there...

But...let's step back and look at that situation from a true perspective:

OUR PREVIOUS SITUATION
Paul says that in times past I walked according to the deceitful lusts, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and by nature, I was a child of wrath (the well deserved wrath of the Father was righteously heading my way because of my sinful nature) even as others. (Eph 2)

So, "that in times past" describes my previous situation...which Paul is proposing is no longer my situation.  So if, in my situation of being upset with my wife, I act as if that is still true, then I am acting in a way that is not in harmony with the actual current truth, which is: that it was in times past, not in the present that I am fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind.

So, if that is no longer true about me, what is true, and why?

THE GOOD NEWS!
Paul goes on (Ephesians 2) to explain that God, who is rich in mercy, even when I was his enemy, and dead, saved me by His grace which was expressed when The Son came and took my punishment, bought me back from the judgement of the wrath of God, and raised us up with HIM to sit in heavenly places.  It was through Christ's work while he was on Earth, his death, his resurrection and ascension that a different situation was created for me and my wife.

RAMIFICATIONS
That different situation is, to name a few ramifications:

We are both brought together in Him;  we have both been raised up together to sit in heavenly places with Him; we have been forgiven by His blood; we have been give life, His life; we have both been placed in His Body; we both are called to seek for unity of the Spirit; we both can be given strength in our inner man by the Spirit; we are both were created, in Him, unto good works which He has ordained for us.

This list could go on for a long time: all the things that Christ accomplished through his life, death, Resurrection and ascension. (1 Cor 15.1-8).  It may have seemed like Christ, when he walked those 33 years on earth, was just living a pretty interesting life of surprising miraculous characteristics...but "behind the scenes" those very actions were implementing the things necessary for the Kingdom of God to be born and spread though out all generations and around the world.

RESPONSE
So, there I am sitting with my wife, and my emotions boil up because of some perceived grievance given to me by her...and I can respond in the flesh, but that would be living a lie!  The truth is that we have a position in Christ that compels and enables Christ to live in me, and the "me" that is upset has to die.  That is a honest response to my real position in Him because of his work on this earth and on the Cross, and coming out of the tomb and being raised to sit at the right hand of the Father.

So, what do I do as I sit there, trying to figure out how to respond to a difficult situation?

I ought to love my wife, by bathing myself in His word, and bathing her in His word. By learning together about what Christ accomplished as He loved His church.  By teaching myself and her what our real situation is in light of the work of Christ.  So that, as we are sitting there in a highly-charged emotional situation, the Truth can be reflected on and responded to.  I propose that this takes learning the truth, teaching the truth and remembering the truth.  That is where we as husbands come in, and we have our work cut out for us, but we also have the Spirit of God helping, comforting and teaching us!

When we fail to live in light of the truth, that is something called "sin".  When we find ourselves in sin, we bring that into the Light of truth, confess that it is sin, and then (according to Rom 7) it is no longer "I" or "her" that did it, but the sin which dwells in us, which has to die.  So we then seek to recognize that we are "in Christ" because of His work, and live after the Spirit, by faith in Him. (Rom 8).

And we go back to the truth, and continue to learn, teach and remember, asking Him for His life for our family.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment