Saturday, March 5, 2011

Gentleness

This post topic has been blessed by Patty with enthusiasm. (Thanks Dave for your thoughts below, this is a bit more shallow)

For a while now I have instructed my oldest boy, Josiah (almost 5), that he can only be rough with guys. This instruction usually results in attacking me when I get home, wrestling with his grandpas and getting rebuked for being too rough on mommy.

I began this direction for Josiah after hearing Patty say "owww, that hurts", "too rough honey", and so on. I have attempted to redirect him to me or other guys.

Question: is there a biblical theme for these different responses?

(disclaimer of sorts: I believe the correct method to look at scripture is exegesis, yet I did approach this topic in a bit more of an eisegesis manner. )

Patrick's answer: yes, look at 1 Peter 3:7.

Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

The fact is, God made men and women very differently and the truth states that wives must be receive gentleness from their husbands as a they are a weaker vessel.

Patty would feel unsafe if I were to be as rough with her as one of my little boys. It is clear from Gods word what our command is in regard to this.

1 comment: