Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Washing with the water of the Word...

So, you know from our ongoing off-blog conversation that I am pretty stuck on the Gospel.  The Great News!  I have been, since 2008, growing increasingly aware of the need to know the Gospel, its ramifications in this world, particular for believers, and knowing how to live in light of our new situation In Christ.

Up until the last few weeks, while it was an ever increasing topic for discussion, it was in a sense theoretical, academic.

But just in the last week or so have a realized how desperately my family needs to know the Gospel deeply, and appreciate what the work of Christ represents for us.  There is nothing like it.

It seems kind of basic, because it is basic...that is...foundational: Christ loved the church by being and doing exactly what He did and who he was.

Paul puts it this way:
1Co 15:1-8  Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;  (2)  By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.  (3)  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;  (4)  And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:  (5)  And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:  (6)  After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.  (7)  After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.  (8)  And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
What difference does that make?  So a guy came, lived, died and "magically" rose again...neat, but so what?

Well, in light of our question: How did Christ love the Church? that is it...he came, he lived, died and was resurrected.  Love Abounding.

It took the disciples a while to understand that anything had happened.  In fact, their question just before Christ's ascension reveals that they were ignorant that what had been happening for the last 33 years, and especially for the last 3 years was anything other than a series of neat miracles, interesting but mystifying teaching and a tragedy turned into a surprising celebration as Christ rose from the dead.

But they didn't understand the ramifications of His actions in light of who and what He was.

They asked in Act 1:6  "... Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? They asked this immediately before He was taken into heaven."

They had no idea the magnificent realities that had been birthed because of the actions Christ already had accomplished!

Do we?

I'm just starting to...

I need to wash myself, and my family in the water of the Word...the Seed...the Gospel!  He accomplished His love by the Good News of what He accomplished.  I accomplish my love...love like his, but understanding and teaching my family what his love has done for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment